The small things matter. Such is the official tagline and philosophy of a longstanding Hollywood cinematic institution. Unfurling 55 curated screening blocks and $5,000 cash prizes for winners, the 27thLA Shorts International Film Festival announces its 2023 offerings, which include 529 films from 34 countries. The OSCARS® & BAFTA-qualifying LA Shorts Fest takes place at Regal Cinemas LA Live on July 19-30. In addition, 144 short films stream during the month of July on TheShortsNetwork.com.
Upcoming silver screen highlights include the following:
- July 18, 4 p.m. FREE public showing of feature documentary REBEL HEARTS (about activist nuns who leave their convent behind . . .) at Laemmle NoHo Theatre;
- July 19, 8 p.m. Screening trifecta of social impact documentary shorts (NOT WORTH KILLING; FORGIVING JOHNNY; THE RED SUITCASE) and opening night celebration at Regal Cinema LA Live;
- July 26, 1 p.m. Dedicated animated shorts program, followed by filmmakers talk-back session, plus industry luminary panel discussion, featuring writer/producer/director Jeffrey Reddick (FINAL DESTINATION, A TALE DARK & GRIMM); writer/casting director/voice director Kristi Reed (TRANSFORMERS: EARTHSPARK, INFINITY TRAIN); Neko Productions founder Lirit Rosenzweig Topaz (SONIC MANIA ADVENTURES), producers John Andrews (MTV’s LIQUID TELEVISION, BEAVIS AND BUTT-HEAD) and Marlene Sharp (SNACK WORLD, SONIC BOOM, also panel moderator), and Gaumont’s Terry Kalagian (STILLWATER).
- July 30, 10 p.m. Closing ceremony with encore exhibition of winning films and presentation of cash awards.
The red-carpeted, opening night extravaganza is sponsored by Immaculate Heart Community, an LA-based, multi-culturally sensitive, ecumenical non-profit organization, which seeks to create access for all persons to truth, equity, justice and peace through spiritual development, education, the arts. The group also fosters safekeeping for Earth and all beings.
IHC President/Principal Executive Officer Sherry L. Purcell, Ph.D. looks forward to the festivities. “We are so proud to support LA Shorts International Film Festival opening night slate of justice films. This effort connects filmmakers/storytellers with an audience to learn more and (hopefully) take action on the most critical issues that impact our society.”
Noteworthy competition films sprinkled throughout the 11-day affair are . . .
- I’M GOOD (BLUE) music video, by David Guetta and Bebe Rexha;
- TERMINALLY UNIQUE, by filmmaker Talita Maia, and starring Evan Williams (Eddie Robinson, Jr. in BLONDE);
- CLOSING TIME, by writer/director Russell Goldman and starring Terry Hu (Addison in NEVER HAVE I EVER);
- THE MEEPS present LOVE LOUDER official music video from IDOLS TV format creator Simon Fuller, directed by Olivier Staphylas and produced by Michelle Jurado Staphylas of 2 Oaks Productions, with animation bySplash Entertainment, and starring the singing voices of Lamar Morris and Joshua C. Jackson;
- WILLOW’S TALE, by writer/director Linda Malik with animation from the neurodiverse artists of The Center for Learning Unlimited’s Brainstorm Productions;
- FAKE IT TIL YOU MAKE IT, by filmmaker Kimrie Lewis (Poppy Banks on SINGLE PARENTS; Destiny on BLACK-ISH) and starring Skye Townsend (A BLACK LADY SKETCH SHOW), Taran Killam (SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE, SINGLE PARENTS), and Nicole Sullivan (BLACK-ISH, KING OF QUEENS).
Compelling production, development, and distribution seminars involve such big names as director Adam Newacheck (WORKAHOLICS, IDIOT SITTER), writer/showrunner Chris Amick (KUNG FU PANDA: THE DRAGON KNIGHT), SMOSH scripter Kurt Maloney, and content strategist/coach Lisa Ebersole.
A Special Message from Team LA Shorts International Fest
Veteran LA Shorts International Fest coordinator Jared Nigro is enthused about the 2023 roster. He effuses, “This year is one of the strongest events on record! It is particularly exciting, because we are hosting the entire festival at LA Live’s beautiful Regal Cinema. The schedule is packed full of exciting guest speakers, panelists, filmmaker Q & As, and, of course, film screenings. This year’s talent is sincerely incredible! It’s a perfect festival to attend if you’re in search of artistic inspiration and to meet the next generation of film industry voices.”
The complete confab line-up is available at www.LAshortsFest.com.