My visit to Shanghai last year was one of the most eye-opening trips of my business career. I had no idea that the domestic Chinese consumer market for toys was so dynamic and how few westerners were taking advantage of it.
This year I will be returning to the China Toy Expo which will take place in Shanghai from October 11-13. I strongly suggest that you take the opportunity to attend this year’s show. When you go, here are some tips:
- Arrange for a translator. Most of the people I spoke with at the Fair last year did not speak English.
- Make sure you get a travel visa. You cannot get into China without a Visa so make sure you do so in advance of your trip. Here is a link to the China Toy Expo website that explains the process.
- If you don’t want to get the Visa yourself, I suggest that you check out a Visa service like Perry International.
- Give yourself a couple of days before the show starts. Shanghai is not Hong Kong so you will need a little more time to culturally acclimate. There is plenty to see so you will not be bored.
- Finally, don’t assume you know anything. Come with an open mind and be prepared to learn.
If you are planning to attend the show, please let us know.